Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bass Cover #4 Misty written by Erroll Garner

Continuing in the bass covers series, here is a solo version of Misty written by Errol Garner. Its a great vocal song, Popular nonetheless, there are many bass covers of this song on youtube but because a friend of mine pointed me in this direction that is why I decided to do this.

The Main difference with covering this song and the previous one God Bless the Child is that I only started figuring out the arrangement after I posted the previous video. Breaking a song down and figuring out how to play the chords with the melody was really a learning experience for me. It was like going back to school and finishing an assignment given by your bass instructor.

Another big difference is that the way the melody was written it was a little hard to voice the melody as the top note properly on the chord. Thankfully having a 5 string really helps a lot, or rather it helps me cheat a lot. Some of the other challenges while learning this song was to try and play it in time. Of course it is a personal choice but  I always like to have a pulse in the music so that it gives a better impression of time to the listener. Granted I am not a very fast linear player so I tried to compensate for this.



So for my next cover, I am going to take a break from playing solo and maybe try to work with a singer. I really excited about the next one. I just hope I have the time to do it soon. Yay!
Have a good week everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment